Filled with newly developed BOSS technology, the DD-500 is the most powerful and versatile stompbox delay ever created. This incredible sound-creation toolbox offers 12 distinctive delay modes with exceptional audio quality, plus deep editing controls, a graphic display, patch memories, MIDI, and much more. From basic echo to dead-on emulations of classic delays to incredibly lush spatial textures that take your breath away, the DD-500 will launch your music places you never thought possible.
DD-500 Version 2 Software: New and Improved Control Parameters, Routing Options, and Effects for Increased Performance Flexibility
The feature-packed Version 2 software update brings powerful new performance enhancements and unparalleled flexibility to the DD-500. Even more control has been added, with an improved A/B simultaneous mode for advanced routing as well as new Series and Parallel modes. Five new effect types have been added to the current delay algorithms, plus many updated parameters common to all modes. The update also offers lots of user-requested features, including additional MIDI controls, new modulation types, a feedback loop function for inserting external effects, adjustable input and output levels, selectable EQ position, and more.
Twelve Versatile Delay Modes and Deep Editing Options
With the DD-500s 12 delay modes, you can create any delay sound you can imagine, and then some. Everything you need is here, from warm, gritty vintage delays and tape echo to complex modern delay lines that employ pitch shifting, filtering, and other unique processing. With the hands-on knobs, its easy to shape essential parameters and create great sounds immediately. Each delay type also includes a semi-parametric four-band EQ, modulation, ducking, and many other parameters, allowing you to dive deep and refine tones with maximum precision.
Unparalleled Sound Quality
In the DD-500, every delay mode has been carefully crafted for a unique sonic personality and highly musical tones at every setting, realized by 32-bit AD/DA and 32-bit/96 kHz processing throughout. And while the delay effects are high-end digital, the DD-500 supports analog pass-through on the straight guitar tone, and you also have your choice of buffered- or true-bypass operation. Along with strengthening the analog dry signal, buffered bypass has the added benefit of enabling carryover, so delay trails are not cut off unnaturally when turning the effect off or switching patches.
Advanced Features for Stage and Studio Use
In the world of sophisticated delay stomps, the DD-500 stands alone in practical usability. The large, integrated LCD fully supports the pedals immense capabilities, giving you clear visibility of delay time, patch ID, and more on one screen, plus sane navigation for detailed parameter tweaks, naming, and system management. And via USB, its simple to connect to your computer for remote editing and patch backup with the DD-500 Editor. MIDI I/O opens up many additional control options for advanced setups with effects switching systems and other devices.
Intensive Real-Time Control
With its freely assignable controls, the DD-500 delivers unmatched creative expression and performance flexibility. By default, the A, B, and TAP/CTL switches offer intuitive control for two patches, bypass, bank selection, tap tempo, and more. However, they can be customized to operate in alternate ways, such as providing top-level access to three different delay patches, or allowing you to use two patches at once for layered delay sounds. Instead of tap tempo, youre able to assign the TAP/CTL switch to various real-time functions like Warp or Twist for a wide range of expressive effects. Even more parameters can be manipulated via MIDI commands or by connecting an optional expression pedal or external switches.
DD-500 Delay Modes
- StandardClear digital delay.
- AnalogEmulates classic analog BBD delays like the BOSS DM series.
- TapeEmulates the warm sound of tape-based delay units, including the Maestro Echoplex, Binson Echorec 2, and the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo.
- Vintage DigitalEmulations of early digital delays from the 1980s, including Rolands famous SDE-2000 and SDE-3000 rack units and the BOSS DD-2, the original stompbox digital delay.
- DualTwo different delay lines that can be connected in series, parallel, or three different A/B independent modes.
- PatternSixteen different delay lines that can be set independently for all types of unique rhythmic effects, with Gate mode for slicer-like pattern effects.
- ReverseBackwards delay for cool psychedelic effects and other unique tones.
- SFXSpecial effects delays with highly unique sound characters.
- ShimmerPitch-shifted delays with stereo pitch-shifter and overtone modes for lush, heavenly textures.
- FilterDelay with selectable sweeping or touch-responsive dynamic filter types.
- Slow AttackEthereal delays that fade in with playing dynamics.
- Tera EchoSpacious, animated ambience effect derived from the innovative BOSS TE-2 pedal.
DD-500 Assignable Control Functions
The following functions can be assigned to the DD-500s onboard TAP/CTL switch and/or optional external footswitches. These assignments are stored as part of a patch.
- TapSet the delay in time with a songs tempo.
- HoldThe delays feedback is held continuously while the switch is pressed.
- WarpIncreases the delays feedback and level simultaneously for powerful expressive effects.
- TwistAdjusts multiple delay parameters with a single press, creating wild sounds similar to twisting the panel knobs in real time.
- MomentOutputs the delay sound only when you hold down the switch.
- Roll 1/2Cuts the delay time to 1/2 of the current setting when you hold down the switch.
- Roll 1/4Cuts the delay time to 1/4 of the current setting when you hold down the switch.
- Roll 1/8Cuts the delay time to 1/8 of the current setting when you hold down the switch.
- FadeFades the delay sound in or out.
- Assign 1-8Allows you to assign and control up to eight different delay parameters at once.
|32-bit floating point
|Maximum delay time
|10 sec.(depends on delay mode)
|60 sec. (96 kHz/MONO, 48 kHz/STEREO)
120 sec. (48 kHz/MONO)
Delay can be applied.
|198 (99 banks x 2 [A][B]), 297 (99 banks x 3 [A][B][C])
|Foot switch x 3 [A][B][TAP/CTL]
|Graphic LCD (128 x 64 dots, backlit LCD) x 1
|Nominal Input Level
|INPUT A/MONO, B: -10 dBu
|Maximum Input Level
|INPUT A/MONO, B: +8 dBu
|INPUT A/MONO, B: 1 M ohm
|Nominal Output Level
|OUTPUT A/MONO, B: -10 dBu
|Maximum Output Level
|OUTPUT A/MONO, B: +8 dBu
|OUTPUT A/MONO, B: 2 k ohms
|Recommended Load Impedance
|OUTPUT A/MONO, B: 20 k ohms or greater
|Buffered bypass or True bypass (with relays)
|INPUT A/MONO, B jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
OUTPUT A/MONO, B jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
CTL 1,2/EXP jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
USB COMPUTER port: USB type B USB-MIDI
MIDI (IN, OUT) connectors
DC IN jack
|Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4
|Expected battery life under continuous
use (These figures will vary depending on
the actual conditions of use.)
|Alkaline: Approx. 7 hours
Leaflet “USING THE UNIT SAFELY”
Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4
|Options (sold separately)
|AC adaptor: PSA series
Footswitch: BOSS FS-5U, FS-5L
Dual Footswitch: BOSS FS-6, FS-7
Expression Pedal: BOSS FV-500H, FV-500L, Roland EV-5
|SIZE AND WEIGHT
|Weight (including battery)
2 lbs 4 oz.