If you want to capture a classic look, you need the gear to match the genre. Nothing completes the style quite like the 55SH Series II, a microphone that has been gripped by legends for decades. Others may imitate, but none can duplicate the form and function standards Shure has held from our first Unidyne mic to our latest.
The Model 55SH Series II provides the Shure Iconic UNIDYNE design coupled with modern acoustic components to meet today’s performance standards. This microphone is excellent for vocal pickup with its characteristic Shure presence peak.
The 55SH Series II has a cardioid (unidirectional) polar pickup pattern that minimizes sound pickup from the rear of the microphone. This allows the Model 55SH Series II to be used in close proximity to loudspeakers without creating feedback problems, and it can perform under adverse acoustic conditions where omnidirectional microphones cannot.
The 55SH Series II has a low-impedance balanced output designed for connection to microphone inputs rated at 75 to 300 ohms. The microphone features a cartridge shock mount to reduce stand noise, an On/Off switch, and an attached, self-tensioning, 5/8″-27 thread swivel mount.
This microphone is ideal for public address or theater-stage sound systems, as well as for broadcasting, recording, and other sound applications where a stand-mounted microphone with a classic look is desirable.
Add an icon to the mix.
- Classic appearance, modern performance
- Frequency response tailored for speech, vocals and instrumental music
- Cardioid directional pattern for optimum performance in adverse acoustic environments
- Shock-mounted cartridge minimizes stand-transmitted noise, ensures quiet operation
- Rugged die cast casing for reliability under rigorous conditions
- Self-tensioning swivel mount, permits tilting through 45 degrees forward and 80 degrees backward
What is the 55SH Series II best suited to?
The Shure 55SH Series II is suited specifically to vocal applications. Therefore, typically live performance, public address as well as for broadcasting, recording, and sound applications where a stand-mounted microphone with a classic look is desirable.
What type of polar pattern does the 55SH Series II have?
A cardioid (unidirectional) polar pickup pattern is employed to minimize sound pickup from the rear of the microphone. This allows the Model 55SH Series II to be used in close proximity to loudspeakers without creating feedback problems, and it can perform under adverse acoustic conditions where omnidirectional microphones cannot.
HOW IT WORKS
Built on the hardware of our seminal Unidyne 55 microphone, the look of the 55SH Series II transports you to a classic era. Whether you recreate the broadcasting golden age or sing with the hip-swinging swagger of the birth of rock n’ roll, this is the mic that makes the scene.
WHY IT’S BETTER
A standout on any stage
The cardioid directional pattern captures the exact sound you want, regardless of acoustic environment. So it’s perfect for live performance in a variety of venues.
Made to move
The shock-mounted cartridge minimises stand noise. So swing while you sing. It can handle the motion.
Microphones get dropped, tossed and knocked around. We know. We’ve been making them for nearly a century. It’s why we built the 55SH Series II with a rugged, die-cast casing, so it’s always ready for the next show.
- Type: Dynamic (moving coil)
- Frequency Response: 50 to 15,000 Hz
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Output Impedance: EIA rated at 150 Ω (270 Ω actual)
- Sensitivity: at 1 kHz, open circuit voltage, -58.0 dBV/Pa
- Polarity: Positive pressure on diaphragm produces positive voltage on pin 2 with respect to pin 3
- Weight: 0.624 kg (1.37 lb)
- Housing: Chrome-plated die casting